Re: How big a job is it to replace seat foam?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How big a job is it to replace seat foam?
From: "Michael L. Coop" <mcoop@amfam.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:42:17 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Jack -

One of the last things I had to do to complete my '78 Spit was the interior.
My seat foams were crumbling so badly that I suspected there wasn't much
foam left in them!

Anyway, if you're going to order new upholstery anyway, you may as well do
the seat foams, diaphrams etc.   My Dad had an upholstery shop when I was a
kid, so I wasn't afraid to tackle the job.   Actually, I think anyone who is
patient enough to carefully inspect everything as the old material is being
removed can do the job adequately.

Be sure to pick up a can of 3M Spray Adhesive.   You'll need it to adhere
the seat foams to the frame.

Also, most of the upholstery kits sold by the big 3 vendors provide hog
rings with their kits.  But, you'll need to buy a set of hog ring pliers.
Nothing else will do the job.

Finally, go to an upholstery supply shop and pick up a large curved needle
and some heavy duty thread.   Tell them you're using it for automotive vinyl
upholstery.   They'll point you to the proper thread.   You'll need the
needle and thread to stitch up the side seams.

If you are really reluctant to do the installation yourself, you can take
the seats and the kits to a local upholstery shop for installation.   It
should be relatively inexpensive to simply have them do the installation.
(Don't tear down both seats before taking them to the upholstery shop...
just tear down one of them.   They'll want to see how they came apart.)

Good luck!

Mike Coop
Michael Coop Agency, Inc.