Re: How big a job is it to replace seat foam?

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Subject: Re: How big a job is it to replace seat foam?
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 10:17:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'6packlist@mfasco.com'" <6packlist@mfasco.com>

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Radley, Jack wrote:

> My 76 TR6 seats are continually dropping crumbs of seat foam.  In
> addition, the seats are a little saggy.  I have purchased new seat
> diaphragms but have not yet installed them.  Considering the
> disintegrating foam and the crumb issue, would I be better off to do the
> seat foams at the same time I go in for the diaphragms?

The foam bits could also be coming from the seat backs.  Triumph used a
sort of compressed foam consisting of tiny particles pressed /glued
together for the parts of the seat backs that cradle you (sides), and
these eventually deteriorate into a crumbling mess that ends up on the
floor of your car.

> How big a job is it?  At times I can be a real hack.  Should I buy the
> foam kits and have it done by a pro or is this something that not even I
> could screw up?

Rebuilding seats can be a demanding job.  I guess it's a trade off between
your ability (and patience), and your budget.  You have to have ask
yourself who will do the better job within those constraints.

 Robert Carley
 73 TR6