RE: Wheel Cylinders

To: "'Ct54531@aol.com'" <Ct54531@aol.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wheel Cylinders
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:45:44 -0600
Jim,

If the cylinder is frozen solid, there are a couple of possibilties.  You
can use compressed air (it works... but gets brakefluid everywhere).  My
personal favorite would be to hook the cylinder back to the hydraulic line
and pump the brakes a few times (assuming the rest of the system is intact).
In either case make provisions for limiting the spread of the brake fluid...
:-)

If you are replacing the seals then it's ok to use penetrating oil... it's
the rubber pieces that will react to the oil.

If the cylinder is rusted shut... maybe you're better off replacing it
anyway?

JMO

Jim