Wheel Cylinders

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel Cylinders
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:32:53 EST
Listers:

I am doing the rear brakes on my 65 4A and have the wheel cylinders out and
want to  replace the innards. My Haynes says nothing about it but my Ken Ball
says to remove the clip and the dust cover (done) and then pull out the piston
and the seal (not done).
Okay, how do I do that? I have tried twisting (a little) but it doesn't move.
Should it come out easily? I seem to recall a direction somewhere that
cautioned not to let it fall out when removing the cylinders so it must be an
easy fit. Keep in mind these cylinders have not moved for about ten years so
anything is possible. Is it okay to use Blaster on it. I also seem to recall a
caution about not using anything but brake fluid on brake components. Ball
says to soak the parts in "methylated spirits". Is that alcohol - or thinner?
Gasoline?
Anyway, as always, TIA.

Jim