RE: Re: TR4A throw out bearing question

To: <emanteno@ibm.net>
Subject: RE: Re: TR4A throw out bearing question
From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:54:20 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Don't know if the above makes sense, but there are a
couple of important
>things that need to be done when you convert the TR4 to
the 4A/6 clutch.
>Not only is the throw out bearing different, but the
sleeve is different as
>well. I think the later clutch takes a longer sleeve. In
addition, the
>snout on the tranny (the piece the front seal is mounted
in) is different
>as well.

Irv,

Thanks for the feedback,

My 62TR4 has a TR4A engine and gearbox from a donor car
installed sometime at least 20+ years ago.  So I don't have
any conversion issues just ordinary rebuild.

The confusion is that my bearing and sleeve are mated
together as one unit.  Instead of the sleeve just being
push-fit into the bearing race... the "stop ridge" of the
sleeve runs "inside" the shell of the bearing cover.  It
looks like the bearing has an extra cover snapped onto it
on the back that captures the sleeve ridge from behind.

The bearing is in bad shape with lots of play and bad
noises and can't be reused... so I guess I'll start the
autopsy method of mechanical discovery to see what's under
this rear bearing cover.

It's not a bad design to keep dirt out but does not match
the drawings in all my various TR workshop books.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA
sanborn@net1plus.com