Re: TR6 clutch replacement

To: Chad & Ariane Jester <triumph@terraworld.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch replacement
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:55:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Chad & Ariane Jester wrote:

> I don't think a TR6 trans will come out the bottom easily.  The trans
> cover is designed to remove and allow access to the transmission from
> the top side.  I have R&R'd a TR6 trans in just over 3 hours using this
> method.  The TR6 trans is not heavy.  All you need is a floor jack to
> support the rear of the engine when the trans is out.

A word of caution here: the phrase "not heavy" is relative.  While I don't
consider my welding tanks heavy, I got 'em cheap because the previous
owner couldn't lug them around.  Sometimes you need a big people (like
me!) to help you lift heavy things!

If it looks like it's going to hurt if you lift it, DON'T DO IT.  The 2
guys at the local auto wrecker put their backs out trying to pull a 350
without using the hoist.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Better to drop a transmission
(or engine) and crush something replaceable than get yourself hurt!!!

I think I'd be more apt to support the engine on a big block of wood
rather than a jack; however, I live on a hill so everything must be well
supported :-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm