Re: TR4 & TR4A Fan belts

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR4 & TR4A Fan belts
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:53:38 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Also, don't forget that Brad has an early TR4; could easily have
> originally (or subsequently) fitted with a hand crank.  There was a thread
> a while back about engines not lining up with the crank- the solution was
> to shim the motor mounts up (1/2? or less) until the hand crank mated up
> with the cranshaft dogs.

As an adendum to the part about clearance for the crank handle.  I looked
in the TR4 parts catalogue and between the radiator mount flange and the
frame they list part # 48101 quantity "as req'd".  That indicates to me that
they radiator might have been shimmed in order to allow the crank to clear
properly.  Kind of gives the impression that these cars weren't built to the
exacting standards that cars are today <G>.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108