Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:34:30 -0500
Cc: KTRIUMPH@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 12 Dec 1998 KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> Actually I think Andy is right here. I tried this on my car without stopping
> one wheel and got about half the expected ratio. 1 turn of the roadwheel was
> about 1.9 turns of the prop shaft. Scratched my head and moved on.

Ooops. Sorry.

There is a factor of 2 with the offside wheel locked, but you divide,
not multiply. You have to spin the wheel through 2 full rotations to get
the crown wheel assembly inside the diff to make 1 full rotation, which
in turn spins the drive shaft either 3.7 or 4.1 turns, depending on the
axle ratio.

You can find me in the corner...

BK