Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?

To: bk54@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:15:58 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/11/98 10:50:53 PM EST, bk54@erols.com writes:

<< Andy Mace wrote,

 >> To be sure, though, raise the rear of the car and place it on stands.
 Temporarily stop one rear wheel from moving (have someone hold it, or
 tighten the brake adjuster). Slowly turn the free wheel through one
 revolution while someone counts the revolutions of the driveshaft at the
 input flange of the rear axle (you could chalk or otherwise mark the
 flange to make the counting easier). If the flange/driveshaft turns just
 under four times, it's 3.7; if just over four times, it's 4.1. <<

 Actually, with the opposite wheel immobilized the drive shaft will spin
 twice as fast. 7.4 turns if the axle ratio is 3.7, or 8.2 if it's a 4.1.

Actually I think Andy is right here. I tried this on my car without stopping
one wheel and got about half the expected ratio. 1 turn of the roadwheel was
about 1.9 turns of the prop shaft. Scratched my head and moved on.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4