Re: TR3 Cranking Rpms - Phase Deux!

To: Gbouff@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Cranking Rpms - Phase Deux!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 01:38:24 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gbouff@aol.com wrote:
> However the real disappointment is a significant vertical score mark on #2
> cylinder, about .005-.008 deep and probably due to a ring sticking.

  Generally a hone is good for 0.0015 or so, as much as double
that in extremes, but I suspect you are beyond either.

> of this, I was thinking about pulling the pistons and breaking the glaze and
> then honing the cylinder walls.

  Perhaps worth doing anyways, but that "scratch"
will likely not come out.

> Has anyone done this, and if so, what size
> rings do I buy?

  Same size as current. The rings are matched to the
pistons. The pistons normally come in 10/20/30 thou
over, but you need machine work to go upsized, you
don't just get there from wear. ;>

  Doesn't hurt to try really. But to remove a
scratch that deep normally requires reboring
10/20/30 over and getting new pistons and all
new rings and so on.

  However, you might investigate replacing just
the liner. TR3s have those "funny liners". ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca