Re: Moving to Arizona

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Moving to Arizona
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 21:55:56 PST
Schuyler E. Grace wrote:
(snip)
 - If I go the self move route, U-Haul has a car carrier (a trailer, not
the dolly type) for under $200 that I would use.  Does anyone have
experience with these things?  I'm most concerned with the narrow track
of MBDC and getting her on an off without scraping any important items
from of her bottom side.  Also, is road debris kicked up by the truck a
problem?
(end snip)

I bought my first LBC (a TR3) last summer and moved it about 300 miles
on one of the U-haul trailers.  The TR3 just fits on the rails (they
have a raised lip on the inside, and the tires just matched this edge
perfectly), but to get the correct tongue weight, I put a couple of
wooden blocks in front of the front tires.  This moved the car back
about 4 inches.  The front tires are held down with some webbing which
works very well, but as with any car, be careful how you hold down the
rear.  If you run a chain from the trailer to the frame of the car, it
will go loose then snap tight when you hit a bump.  Instead, use straps
over the rear axles (careful of brake lines) or tires to hold the rear -
that way the car can safely move up and down on itąs own suspension.
the TR3 came close to bottoming out when loading, but if you think you
will have problems, back the trailer into the gutter of the street with
the ramps up into a driveway.  I didnąt use any rock protection in front
of the car, but it would be a good idea - either a bra or a piece of
plywood tied up so as to not rub on the car.  Good luck in Mesa and
welcome to left portion of the US.

Frank
Carpinteria, CA ("World's Safest Beach")
   '59 TR3