TR4 wire wheels (was Re: TR4/4A differences)

To: KSP-Rocky.Mtn.Hi@worldnet.att.net
Subject: TR4 wire wheels (was Re: TR4/4A differences)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:28:32 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken, hi.  I'll answer your questions within your message below.

In a message dated 98-11-22 12:14:13 EST, Ken Pelzel writes:

> I have been meaning to send you a note for a long time re: the following
>  info. I've had tons of server problems and am just now getting to your 2
>  month old message. Just wanted to let you know that my '63 tr4 (roughly
>  CT13000LO) was shipped with 48 painted painted spoke wheels. Yes, I'm the
>  original owner.

Your car is really a '62.  The first car built in '63 was CT18605.  Since
approx 40,300 TR4's were made that puts you in the "early" category.
(13/40=1st third).  (See below for the signifcance of that.)

According to Piggott (Original Triumph TR)  "Early TR4 customers received only
48-spoke wires with 4 inch rims, which were barely adequate in strength for
the increased weight of the car, 60-spoke wheels with 4 1/2 inch rims could be
obtained to special order, and it would be unwise today to use original
48-spoke wheels on TR4's other than for gentle motoring or 'show originality'
purposes.  During the TR4's run, the 60-spoke wheels eventually became the
norm when wire wheels were specified."

That jibes with my experience.  My car CT33118L (33/40=last third) was built
on 14 May '64.  It had 60 spoke wire wheels as standard wire wheel equipment.
I had only specified "wire wheels" and the 60-spoke wheels were on it when I
picked it up at Standard Triumph in London.  I do not know when the change
occurred but I have seen 48-spoke ww on early TR4's - so I agree with Piggott.

>  Even though I replaced the wheels a few years ago with chromed 60 spokes, I
>  still have all the original 48s.
>
>  Do you know when Triumph went to 60s and when they offered chrome?

Don't know when (maybe Piggott's new book will have that info.  I have not
received it yet.)  BUT my original factory "Spare Parts Catalogue" shows part
numbers for:

   "Bright chrome, Dull chrome, Alum finish, and Laquer" finish for both 48
and 60 spoke wire wheels.  Mine were grey laquer finish.

>  By the way I bought the Dunlop 60s (probably made in India) that everybody
>  on the List seems to abhor. I love them.

Good to hear that.  I bought new Dayton wire wheels in '94 and am also very
happy.  Problem with the Dunlops made in India was that many of them are not
true and the quality is supposedly not as good overall as the Daytons.
Whether that is completely correct is a matter of some controversy.

>  Anyway, I rarely send anything to the List, but I enjoy your knowledgeable
>  input.

Thanks.  I try.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/always wire wheels/daily driver)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant