Removing pistons from liners

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Removing pistons from liners
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:14:58
Scions,

Having acquired a TR4 engine to rebuild for my TR3 (late better head and I
can still drive while I rebuild) I have been stymied by one reluctant
piston, rusted in place.

I am replacing both liner and piston, so all I need intact, is the conrod.
Some water ran into one cylinder, so that intake valve is pretty rusty, as
was this piston/liner assy.  The rest of the engine is in great shape, with
minimal rust anywhere.  The crank has never been cut, etc., etc.

The liner came out with the piston still firmly stuck.  For the past three
weeks, I have soaked it, beat on it, soaked it and beat on it on a regular
basis.  Yesterday, while beating on it, I noticed I had cracked the bottom
of the liner, but the piston still hadn't moved yet.  EURIKA!

A few swift (but gentle) blows, with the square end of my axe, split the
liner wide open and my conrod was saved.

Is it just me...... or has anyone else had this much trouble with dissasembly?

Jack (still holding discussing with the Missus about building the engine in
the house instead of the garage this winter) Brooks