TR6 Engine Rebuild Questions

To: rickerbr@Maritz.com
Subject: TR6 Engine Rebuild Questions
From: jworthy2@csc.com
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:34:00 +1000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian

I am starting to explore the same areas that you have requested information
on.  A couple of things have come to my attention:

a)   the Triumph 2000 site is a good reference point.  So is the
Competition preparation manual from TRF.

b)   there appears to be heaps of available camshafts.  When speaking to
people over here about a fast road setup I was told that 30/70 was too
rough and 25/65 was better for everyday (weekend) driving.  The 25/65 was
also recommended becasue I have twin SUs installed and these carbies can't
take advantage of say a 30/70 cam.  So I'd love to here from other TR6
users who have put these type of cams into there cars.  The S2 cam gets a
mention but I suspect it is a bit rough down low.  So does the TR5 camshaft
which a lot of PI owners seem to prefer.  If you have your cam reground
make sure it is re-hardened.

c)   Hand in glove with the cam goes a modified head.  Taking .060" off can
be compensated for by putting .060" shims under the rocker gear to maintain
rocker geometry.  I've seen an earlier post on the list where someone has
used these for years without any problems.  These are available at TRF for
$US1.50 each.  When you say you'll be raising the compression to 9.5 I
assume you have a head with a 8.something compression to start off with
otherwise you would be planing more than 0.060" off it.

I'd appreciate it if listers would include me in any mail on this subject.

John
72 TR6