Re: Haynes TR6 TR5 and 250 Manual

To: Wayne Tallack <tallack@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Haynes TR6 TR5 and 250 Manual
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:47:52 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Wayne Tallack wrote:

> If anyone (Canadian or otherwise) wants a photocopy of the Haynes manual
> (until they can replace it by a reprint issued by Haynes or you are lucky
> enough to find one on the secondary market) please email me....

I'd be careful here, especially in the case of a book where a: copyright
is still current and b: there might be plans by the publisher to reprint
the material. A single copy MIGHT be considered "fair use" under
copyright law (for research purposes, private use, yadda, yadda...). But
multiple copies provided for a fee, even if that fee literally covers
only your costs at no profit, would be rather more difficult to defend
should the publisher find out about this.

There have been court cases filed against copy centers that have done
such copying; some of them will flat-out deny your request for multiple
copies of such a reference work. Others simply won't copy even a single
page out of such a book, for fear of reprisal.

Food for thought.

--Andy

...also a Librarian