Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3
From: Keith A Edwards <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:37:22 -0500
KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> <<  The generator from my TR-3 is whining intermittently - possibly because
>  the car repeatedly boiled over onto it before I fixed that problem.  I
>  oiled the generator is as suggested in the routine maintenance guidelines
>  and that may have helped a bit, but the problem is still there.
>    1.  Do you think this is something to deal with ASAP or can I live with
>  it for a while?
> I almost always carry a spare with me on long hauls. Even if it goes you still
> have enough juice in the battery to go for 50 miles or so w/o lights on.
SNIP

Driving 50 miles (without the lights) is easy.  Back in the late 1970s,
when I only had 2 Triumphs, one had a bad starter and the other had a
bad generator.  I went for months like that.  I drove the one with a
good generator at nights, but I made sure I parked on a hill.  So long
as I drove during the day, I drove the one with a bad generator about
200 miles to see my girlfriend, on weekends.  If I recall, I would still
have enough battery strength to run the starter.

Perhaps 50 miles is about the limit if driving with the lights on.

Keith Edwards (who used to know how "yellow" the headlights could get
before the engine would soon start missing...)
Suffolk, VA
62 TR3B, owned since 1978
62 TR3B, former SCCA race car
67 TR4A, owned since 1973
67 TR4A, former parts car, known as Lazarus
54 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo RHD