Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-3,4: Generator whining, swap from 4 to 3
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:44:35 EST
In a message dated 11/12/98 11:08:39 AM EST, jfcowan@earthlink.net writes:

<< The generator from my TR-3 is whining intermittently - possibly because
 the car repeatedly boiled over onto it before I fixed that problem.  I
 oiled the generator is as suggested in the routine maintenance guidelines
 and that may have helped a bit, but the problem is still there.
   1.  Do you think this is something to deal with ASAP or can I live with
 it for a while?
   2.  Anyone see a problem substituting the generator from my non-running
 '66 TR-4A?  It's negative ground, so I'd have to swap leads on the TR-3's
 coil. >>

John;
IMHO, if I were in that position, or should I say, when last in that position,
I had the generator rebuilt.  I use my local Lucas dealer, H&C Truck
Electrical in Albuquerque, NM.  They provide the labor and expertise and I
provide the parts, which are mainly the front bearing and the bushing, plus
the brushes and springs.  They give everything a good cleaning, a repaint and
check out the electricals.

Replacing the failing unit with another used unit in unknown condition might
result in the same problem shortly down the road. You'll get a reliable unit
with a rebuild. Parts are inexpensive too.
Regards;
Bob Paul