TR6 Trouble today

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Trouble today
From: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 19:04:21 -0600
Fellow lister Tony Zager and I drove to St. Clair MO to pick up some
parts.  On the way home, my TR6 did some wierd things.

We were able to drive at highway speed for about five minutes or so, and
the car would sputter and die.  After it sat for a moment, (sometimes as
little as 20 seconds) it would start right up and go again for about
another five minutes.  The longer we sat, the longer we could drive
until it died again.  A 2 hour trip turned into 6 1/2!

We replaced all of the parts we could with the spares I had in the
trunk; points, condenser, distributor cap, still no difference.  Fresh
fuel didn't make a difference, either.

If I revved the engine hard after startup, it would run all the way to
4500 rpm or so, but wouldn't stay for very long.  It seems to idle with
just a slight misfire, as long as there is no load on the engine.

Where do you folks think I should start?  Carb diaphragms?  Fuel pump?
Coil?  Priest?

Any ideas welcome,
Chad Stretz
73 TR6