Steering Rack Grease Adapters

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering Rack Grease Adapters
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:06:26 -0400
Thanks to some inspiration from Peter Zaborski I went looking for a BSP-NPT
adapter for my steering rack so that I could pump some grease into an area I'd
been neglecting.

Fortunately I was able to find one locally (Peter had mentioned that the
Stewart-Warner catalog offered an adapter kit).  When I mentioned the SW adapter
kit to my local NAPA dealer he put me on to a local outfit that just happened to
have the right adapter.

The adapter is a 1/8 - 27 NPT female (which accepts the 1/8 grease zerk) with a
1/8 - 28 BSP male (which goes into rack where the plug is now).  With a grease
zerk (1/8 x 1/8) and the adapter you have a permanent and easy  way to grease
the rack.   Plug out, adapter and zerk in.  It's as simple as it gets.

Now I have no intentions of competing with the Joe Curry shopping network (no
one could do as good a job as Joe), but I did pick up two extras if anyone is
interested.  They cost me $7.00 each (you get both the zerk and the adapter) and
I'd be glad to mail them out (you pay for the shipping of your choice) to anyone
who would like one of them.  I can't tell you if they will fit any particular
car.  I can only tell you they fit my 71 TR6 and I assume will fit similarly
equipped cars.

One question for the list.  Does anyone have an easy way of greasing the
u-joints hiding inside the rear hubs?  I can see the zerks but can't get to them
since they are so far inside the hub housing.  Do I really have to pull the
brakes, hub, etc. just to grease those two u-joints?  Can anyone tell me how
they've done it?  Now that I've done the steering rack they are the last two
grease points that I've neglected.

Bud 71TR6 CC57365