RE: Electrical connections for Fog/Driving Lamps

To: "'DANMAS@aol.com'" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Electrical connections for Fog/Driving Lamps
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:46:37 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Dan,
requirements are that they have to be fused. This even applies to classic
cars if you import them. This legaly is probably a bit dodgy as depending on
age they weren't fitted with fuses at time of type approval and thus in
theory don't have to comply with regulations that came into force after that
date. But you will have a hard time to prove that point to the TUV officer.
Indeed most of the LCB's driving around are in a nice condition in Germany,
that is probably a reflection of the much higher value of the cars giving a
higher incent may be to maintain them. AS to other cars being neglected,
well you do have in Germany as well as in Britain the regular checks, in
Britain yearly, in Germany every two years, so they are usually in a
sound-ish condition. Having said that, I know a story (true) of a Golf GTI
MkI being driven over a level crossing at speed and breaking in two parts.
The car just passed its control. Luckily nobody was injured.
Keeping your wiring in pristine condition is indeed very much a problem, as
Dave Massey might confirm, my wiring loom is not really 100% original or
pristine.

Gernot