Re: Electrical connections for Fog/Driving Lamps

To: gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Electrical connections for Fog/Driving Lamps
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:19:41 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-10-06 10:08:47 EDT, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk writes:

> While you may or may not have different opinions on that, I just
>  might add, that it is legal requirement for Germany to have both headlamps
>  fused seperately .

Gernot,

Interesting! I wonder if it is a requirement that the lights *BE* fused, or
just a requirement that *IF* they are fused, there be one per side?

Being married to a German, I can understand how that would work better there
than here. If most Germans are like my wife, there is not a chance that they
will fail to check their lights (oil level, tire pressures, or whatever, for
that matter) on a regular basis. I don't believe you'll find as many run down,
neglected cars in Germany as you will here.

For those LBC owners that have fully restored, immaculate, cars, fusing is
less of a issue than it is for those who are trying to restore a car that was
rescued from a barn or a field, and driving it while they do. We have all seen
or heard the horror stories about the bodges to the wiring made by a DPO!

Even with an immaculate car, though, it can still be a problem, given the
failure mode of the bullet/sleeve connectors used in British cars. After
several years, it is not uncommon for the steel inserts in the sleeves to
crumble, releasing their grip on the bullets. When this happens, it is very
easy for the bullets to slip out. Having a loose bullet, energized, bouncing
around in the car is like, well, having a loose bullet in the car.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74