Re: technical knowledge - rather, lack of...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: technical knowledge - rather, lack of...
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 08:37:32 -0600
> Being fairly new to the world of Triumphs, I'm now in a position to
> buy a car !
>  However, whilst flicking through the classic car mags & autotrader
>  pages, I
> see a lot of technical stuff and terms which I'm not familiar with -
> can anyone help ?  I'm sure someone can, I'm just gonna look a bit
> stoopid that's all !

Well you aren't stoooopid if you want to get into triumphs!!

> Ayway, the terms I've seen are :
>
> Rotoflex - Is this good or bad ?

Type of rotary joint on the rear axle of GT6's.  Might be on other
cars also

> Weber   - good/bad ?

I've never used one but lots of people like them.  I'm an SU fan
myself.

> IRS       - only seen this against TR5 ads, what is it ?

Independant Rear Suspension.  TR4A through TR6's has it with the
exception of some TR4A's that had a solid (live) axle.  If you are
familiar with the Corvette, it also has IRS.

> Surrey Top - is this the kinda half-thing that fits on the back of a
> TR5? If so, what goes between the top of that and the top of the
> windscreen ?

Technically the Surrey Top IS the part that goes between the front and
back halves.  The whole thing is really just called a hard top.  It is
a very sought after and desirable item to have on your car. I've just
recently been told where to find reproductions of these tops.  I'll be
ordering one soon.

> And any other things to specifically look out for or avoid !

MG's <BG>  (ok I'm expecting the flames but couldn't resist!)

> I'm probably in the market for a GT6, possibly a TR5 and even
> further away from my finances, maybe a TR6.

You couldn't go wrong with anyone of those cars.  I myself have a 64
spitfire and a 66 TR4A (live axle).  One is running and one needs a
full restoration.

Keep us posted as to what you buy.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start teardown)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to install)