Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A

Subject: Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:33:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Peter J. Thomas wrote:

> Same model, same year, same smell.  No noticable leaks.  I assumed it
> was coming from the gas cap.  Please someone, correct me if I am wrong.
> The gas cap is vented, unlike modern cars which are sealed to reduce
> polution.

The TR4 gas cap isn't vented.  The tank is vented via a pipe attached to
the top of the tank near the right-hand side. The attachment is via a
banjo fitting that is prone to break loose due to vibration of the pipe.
With a full (or nearly full) tank, fuel sloshes against the top of the
tank and seeps out around the lose fitting.

Remove the fiberboard bulkheads between trunk and tank and between
passenger compartment ant tank.  That gives you access to the vent
fitting, and you can inspect the rest of the tank at the same time.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net