Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A

To: "David J. Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 16:55:31 -0700 (PDT)

> > I have noticed that when the TR4A is closed in our garage, we smell the odor
> > of gasoline. I do not see any leaks. Has anyone experienced this problem
> > before? Anyone have a suggestion as to where would be the best place to look
> > first?

This is just a guess, as I'm not sure what carbs you have- but is it
possible that the float vents are open to the atmosphere?  On my SUs the
float vents are just poking out of the tops of the float bowls.  It would
make sense to me that any air escaping through these vents would smell
like gasoline.  I don't have a closed garage though.  Maybe try venting
the vapours through a charcoal canister?

Or, here's another spin:  The Practical Classics Cooper Mini had a "nasty
niff of petrol" and it was a result of a mis-vented gas tank.  I think the
TR4A is supposed to have a vented cap, is there any way to check to see if
it works?

...I'd guess that if you heard a hiss when opening the gas cap at a gas
station would be a clue.

good luck,
-Malcolm