interesting tr6 discovery

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: interesting tr6 discovery
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:26:57 -0600
This one is still making me chuckle. I have to share it with y'all...

Background:
        The late TR6s (75 & 76) came with unique front signal lenses.
They mount under the front bumper and are sort of an ovalized rectangle
shape rather than the trapezoidal shape of all the other models (and all
non-North American models I suppose, even 75s). Furthermore, the 75 had
the lens in half amber (the turn indicator) and half clear (the park
light). The 76 was all amber (same shape and fit though).

        My TR6 is a very late 76 so it has the all amber lenses.
Recently I have decided to fit the 75 style lenses as a matter of
personal preference. I like the clear park lights, they look better IMO.
Anyway I found a pair used for a decent price so earlier today I
proceeded to fit them to my car.

The discovery:
        So upon unscrewing the two screws on the driver side front lens,
I make to pop off the lens to switch it for the 75 one. I am careful to
hold on to the lens so as not to drop it in case it wants to fall to the
floor and crack on me. Well the lens stays in my hand but something else
drops to the floor. I am momentarily concerned that I have broken
something I wasn't expecting to be loose in there. But the concern is
short lived as I discover that the object which has fallen to the floor
is none other than... a spare set of keys wrapped in masking tape!

        I am not kidding. I unwrapped the tape and inspect two Wilmot
Breeden keys and one of another brand whose name escapes me at this
time. The ignition key has the original style plastic handle with the BL
logo but unfortunately part of the plastic is melted by the heat of the
bulb. I tried all three keys and yep, they are the right ones. I seem to
recall hearing a while back that the BL workers would put spare keys in
odd locations but this little find just blew me away.

        Maybe John Mac might shed a light on this, I don't know. But in
any event, it made my day. Oh yeah, as for the 75 lenses, I do like the
way they look on my car vs the all amber ones.

Cheers!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada