Re: One leak stops, another starts...

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: One leak stops, another starts...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:59:54 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      ...just a different color though.
>
>      Well, I just got the brown fluid to stop flowing yesterday (oil).

Good.

>      This A.M. it started spewing green stuff (antifreeze).

This is your car telling you that you achived an isostatic imbalance...
the oiling system is now working better than the cooling system.

>      It's coming
>      from the heater valve near the top,back of the valve cover. When the
>      valve is in the open position (the dash control knob pulled all the
>      way out), it's leakin' like a sieve. When I close the valve(knob
>      pushed in) it stops.

I've seen this plenty of times.

>      Is this heater valve a "replace" part versus a "repair" part?

It's a "replace". The problem is that the little rubber diaphragm in the
heater control has "perished". You can take the valve apart rather
easily, but I believe that the diaphragm is not obtainable from any source...

And I can't think of a way to "fix" it.

Time to plunk down $30 to one of the "big three" as an offer to the gods.

>      While I'm fixing/replacing it is there any other good advice such as
>      replacing the hoses leading to and from it if necessary? Anything else
>      I need to know?

Chances are that the hoses are old and need replacing. If you are into
concours, you should get the green hoses from TRF. If you are cheap, just
get some 1/2 inch ID heater hose and replace at a minimum the hose from
the valve to the firewall... the other hoses back there, like the other
one from the firewall to the "bypass pipe" and the one from the bypass
pipe to the intake manifold are a real B$&@!. Especially the little hose
from the bypass to the intake manifold. And that little hose should be
replaced with a form fit hose or it should be reinforced so that it does
not collapse.

Use stainless strap style hose clamps. The  wire style look more
original, but they are a pain in the @$$ to install. The strap style hold
better according to His Highness, Carrol Smith.

>      Thanks folks,
>      Jeff
>      '73 TR6 in Mass.
>
>      'always tryin'  to stop a leak'

I guess that's better than always trying to take a leak.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Feeling a little spunky today. The taxes are done and my estate is still
solvent! Yeah.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     | Note: _not_ Robert Langer.