Got the Diff. Figured out

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Got the Diff. Figured out
From: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfires list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>

This is getting posted to both lists.  Apologies for the double whammy for
some.  A collective thanks to those who quickly posted the method for
figuring out the differential ratios.

And, it works!  I've got a Spitfire 4.11/1 in my overdrive GT6+ that
should have a 3.89/1.  With that in mind, if I still had a speedo
calibrated for an overdrive, it should read 4.11/3.89=1.057 x actual speed
higher.

But, after some runs down by the Snake river between the mile markers
checking the actual speed vs speedo reading, it is actually 4.11/3.27=1.26
x actual speed higher.

Sigh.

Guess I have an overdrive car with a 4.11/1 rear end, and a 3.27/1 speedo.

I am going to get another differential.  My question is, would it be too
naughty to get a 3.27/1 version so I get better top end performance?  Am I
thinking about this correctly?   I suspect that the higher ratios for the
overdrive cars were installed to prevent engine over-reving when the o/d
is disengaged.

I would be very happy to hear others' thoughts on the subject.  Plus
possible trades/sources for  a suitable differential.

Thanks!

Jim Densley

61 TR4  CT757L
69 GT6+  KC54071LO