Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?

To: Hank Brakman <hank@discovernet.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hardtop help needed and what's the easiest perf mod?
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:00:16 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hank Brakman wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Whilst (like the British English?) removing the hardtop of my '78 Spitfire
> this spring, one of the front bolts wouldn't come out.  Infact what
> happened is that the captured nut started turning in the top.  I had to
> grind the head of the hex head cap screw off.  Now that I've got this top
> off the car, I'm wondering how I'll fix this!  The head liner was getting a
> bit ratty anyway so I pulled it away from the front of the top.  I can get
> my small finger onto the captured nut holder, but that's all I can get on
> it!  My question is:  has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix
> it?  Also, does anyone have the "b-pillar" mounting hardware for the top
> that they'd like to sell me?
>
> I would like to add a little punch to my Spit.  Unfortunately, I live in
> Connecticut where you have to get your car smog checked every year once it
> gets to be over 10 years old.  What I'm looking for is a recommendation as
> to how to make a little more power, with a mod that I can easily remove at
> inspection time...  How difficult is it to put on a set of SU's or a
> downdraft Weber?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Hank
> 1978 Spit

New carburetion is the easiest and perhaps best modification for the
money.  Some swear by a downdraft Weber, but I put a pair of SU's (HS4)
on my Spitfire and I like them well. SU's are a breeze to maintain. The
problem is finding the proper manifold, carbs and linkage, since they
weren't usually sold on this side of the pond for Spitfires.  I got my
manifold and carbs from John Kipping at a reasonable price.

Next consideration is a header, but frankly, I don't think it's worth
the work to fit. It's a flat out pain in the a** to install.  I had one
for a while, but it failed prematurely, so now I'm back to the stock
arrangement -- which sounds good, is reliable and provides an inch or so
more ground clearance.

An even easier modification, and one that requires money but no skill,
is to put on Panasport wheels all around.  That will save you some 50-60
pounds in plain old (unsprung) weight, looks good, and will give you a
lot of tire options as well.  I'd have on my Spitfire in a second if I
had the cash laying around.

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire