Re: Braided steel brake lines

To: cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Braided steel brake lines
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 08:00:44
Charlie asks:
>       I just purchased a set from Moss. They appear to be very high
>       quality, but I'm concerned because they are less flexible than the
>       originals, and they are lightly contacting the upper ball joint
>       assembly at the top of the vertical link where they come off the
>       calipers. I'm afraid to flex them too far, but I also don't think
>       it's wise just to let them rub there.

You should be concerned about letting braided brake hoses rub against
anything.  They are like a hacksaw and will go through the ball joint
in short order.  Its amazing how abrasive they are.  I've taken to
wrapping them with spiral wire wrap (available from various electronic
suppliers, probably including Radio Shack) if there's any chance they'll
contact anything else.  They are definitely not as flexible as rubber
lines (that's part of the reason for using them - they don't swell
when you pump the brakes), so you need to route them carefully to avoid
twists and the like.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu