Re: Tires for Spitfire

To: kes@acpub.duke.edu
Subject: Re: Tires for Spitfire
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:34:08 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
155SR13, the wheels are 4.5" or 5" steal wheels 5" are the later ones.
Radial cross ply as well, the 1500 was the first Triumph with wheels
sutible for radials, the ones before hand don't have as safty lip to
stop them loosing pressure when cornering hard.  My car has 165's
because that's what was on them when I got um.  It meens the spedo reads
lower than my real speed.  I'm doing 35 ish when the spedo says 30.

You will get the better acceleration with the 155's but I think the
165's are more common tires.  Take your pick, I would go for the
originals because they give more clearence.

As for makes I have a soft spot for Perellie's, don't know why but they
look the part, and it's what you see on BMW's and new Vaxhauls.

Because your car is quite late I recon it may be 1500 wheels on it?
Anyone have anything ot add.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot