Tires for Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tires for Spitfire
From: Ken Strayhorn <kes@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:12:21 -0500
Friends -

Well, it's time for new tires on my '72 Spitfire. And, of course,
the three dealers I've approached so far have no idea what to
put on the car - none of their current manuals have a listing
for Spits, except in a vague "one size fits all" manner.

I've looked over the FAQ on the VTR and Team.net sites, and I'm
still in the dark. I'm looking for a slightly wider tire than
normal that maintains the correct height so the speedo will
be at least close to the actual speed.

I don't mind paying for Michelin, but would welcome any
reasonable alternatives. Primarily, I'm looking for a smooth
ride, as my 44-year-old kidneys can't take the pounding they
once did (insert smiley here).

Hints, suggestions, etc are welcome, as are "negative" comments
on tires to avoid.

Thanks for the help -

Ken Strayhorn
kes@acpub.duke.edu