Re: Tires for Spitfire

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Tires for Spitfire
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 07:43:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I have seen 165/60 R 13 inch tires, I believe Goodyear makes them and I
would think these would be very close to the running 155 dia stock tire.
when I change the GT6+ tires I will be going to these as the 165 standard
aspect ratio's rub just slightly on the right rear fender lip when
cornering hard (but they really fill out the wheel wells nicely) - With the
later (square tail) body style this is less of a problem especially in the
rear, as I can remember running 185/70s without rubbing on the Spitfire.
165 width is about as wide a tire as *I* would put on a stock 5.5 inch rim.
 I currently run 205/60's on the spitfire with 6 inch Pannasport
rims/correct offset, no problems, but I have a very slight almost
undetectable flare to the front wheel well arches which helps.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)