Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:01:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Nikki,
      What I would do to check the solenoid is with car out of gear you
can use an old screwdriver to short out the 2 large terminals on the
solenoid (1 from batt 1 to starter) this in effect eliminates the
solenoid. If you still have the same problem either your
starter,Battery,or connections are bad. If you still have your old
starter you can use jumper cables from bat neg to body of starter and
from cable connection stud to batt pos.Make sure you secure the
starter,it should spin fast and pull the bendix gear toward the starter
body.
  P.S. I have had a weak battery cause both the problems you describe
                                           Good Luck,
                                           Bob Harris