Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:51:29 +0500 (EST)
Cc: A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au, nikki mw1 <nikkimw1@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, James wrote:

> I don't think it'lll be a stuck solinoid [unless it's like my
> non-standad starter which is a pre-engadged one]...When the motor
> goes it pulls the gear into line with the flywheel, and if that
> mechanisum sticks then it just spins.
>
> Pop your starter off, and have a look at the end of the motor,
> you proberbly don't need to touch the internels.  Try a bit of
> oil on the dog.

I must politely disagree with that final bit of advice, James. My
experience over the years has been that most any lubricant on the starter
drive (or "bendix" as we like to call them here) will do little except to
collect dirt and grit and marmot hair, ultimately making the drive just as
sticky as it likely is now.

So long as the drive actually does function normally (no broken springs,
etc.) and is clean and unrusted, I usually find that a thorough cleaning
with your favorite cleaning fluid is all that is necessary to make things
work properly again. Possibly a tiny bit of dry (such as a graphite)
lubricant might help, but often it's not necessary.

All this assumes that I and others understand the original problem to be
that the motor seems to spin fine but the drive does not engage with the
ring gear, right?

--Andy