Re: Electric fans/power gain

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Electric fans/power gain
From: "Martin" <mxgo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:15:38 -0800

> > > The fan uses 6 to 9% @7.5% of the total HHP, assuming a 100 BHP car,
> > > that's 7.5BHP.  If you workthat out in kW as a rough gide I'll use a
> > snip snip
>
> I'm glad to see all of you put this part on the list.  I've been
> wondering about the affect on overal hp that an electric fan would
> have.  This kind of information I believe might help a lot of others
> on the list make a decision.
> right now)

Several years ago, I installed an electric fan (removed the existing
mechanical fan) on my 73 TR6 and had a negative experience with the fan. I
believe I bought the unit from JC Whitney or VB.  I installed a seven blade
12 inch fan with thermometer on the front of the radiator and when  I
tested the unit in the garage it worked fine.  When I went on the road and
ran into traffic and had to sit idling, the radiator started overheating.
Also, the unit made a heck of a lot of noise when it started operating.

Has anybody had similar experiences, excessive noise and overheating, with
electric fans?  If not, what brand was used on your TR6s.

Martin G.