Re: Electric fans/power gain

To: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric fans/power gain
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:59:18 +1000
Cc: gerhard.wiederholl@t-online.de
At 3:14 PM +1000 27/3/98, Dave Fain wrote:
>Gerhard Wiederholl wrote:
>>Engineering books state a belt driven fan takes away 6-9% enginepower.
>
>Yikes!!!  When you only have about 100hp to start with, that means
>6-9 hp.  Maybe it's time to shop for an electric fan for the GT6.
>To H*** with originality, I would rather have the power.
>Dave
>GT6 MkI (with several inappropriate modifications)

That 100hp is at the flywheel and probably only 70 to 80 appears at the
wheels, which makes the 6 to 9 hp look even more significant.  An electric
fan is the easiest way to achieve more hp and greater fuel efficiency;
which is why most modern vehicles have electric fans.

However, be aware that almost every discussion of electric fans on this
list, brings out GT6 owners who have had overheating problems with electric
fans.  Similar comments do not seem to come from Spit and TR owners.  My
knowledge of GT6s is almost nil, but I suspect that there may be something
fundamentally inadequate about design of the GT6 cooling system.

I suggest that you get some first-hand advice from GT6 owners before you go
down this path.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U