Re: Electric fans/power gain

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric fans/power gain
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:20:09 +0100
Peter Zaborski schrieb:

> [...]

15-20% gain in power is only possible if Triumph fitted far too large fans as
standard but why are that many people having trouble with overheating then?

Engeneering books state a belt driven fan takes away 6-9% enginepower.

BTW the main advantage of an electric fan is not better cooling which I doubt,
but :

1. it does not take away power from the engine

2. it workes only when the radiator needs additional cooling-air . A belt
driven
   fan takes away most power at highest poweroutput. As one usually drives fast
   at high poweroutput you donīt need the fan in this situation as there will
be
   enough airflow through the radiator(a different thing of course is if you
   drive up a long hill at low speed and high RPM).

3. it reduces fuel consumption

4. it takes away stress from the front mainbearing

This could be the reasons why belt driven, constant linked fans are no longer
found in new cars.

Gerhard

1969 TR 6