Re: TR4 fuel lines

To: Steinbeck Michael <Michael.Steinbeck@start.de>
Subject: Re: TR4 fuel lines
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 07:55:26 -0600 (CST)
Cc: "'TR Liste'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Steinbeck Michael wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I need to replace the fuel lines of my TR4. Non of the suppliers I asked
> has the metal fuel line from the gas tank to the engine bay anymore
> (Moss part # 208495 and 303754). I was told, that I can use flexible
> rubber fuel lines all the way from the gas tank to the carbs. I should
> note, that my TR4 has not the original, but an electric fuel pump.

        Mike,

        I reran my fuel line last year and added an eletric fuel pump...
        I used brake pipe for the job from the tank to the engine bay.
        Then converted to Aeroquip line in the engine compartment. The
        fuel pump is located inn  the spare tire well just under the tank
        and the line runs from the tank to a Fram racing fuel filter, to
        the pump then from the pump to the enigime bay... If you do the
        job yourself invest in a brake pipe company (you'll burn through a
        BUNCH of brake line), get a good tubing bender and pipe flaring
        tool. Oh yes, go to your local art supply store and buy a few yards
        of aluminum armature wire (1/4" thick does great"). It's very
        flexible. Use the armature wire to run the lines to get your
        patterns. Then all it takes is practice to get the bends and flares
        right.

        There are aluminum fuel lines avaialable at speed shops as well
        as the copper. I opted to use brake pipe based on the strength.
        Not so much for the long runs but for the fittings. I'm constantly
        tinkering with my '4 so disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel
        line is an issue here. If I would have done anything different, I
        would have added a cut-off valve at the tank (probably will do that
        sometime in the future). So far the sysem seems to be working out
        well.

        Good luck,
        Greg Petrolati

gpetrola@prairienet.org                         1962 TR4