Re: Now back to the Clutch problem

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Now back to the Clutch problem
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:45:53 -0800
Cc: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brad...

On the TR 4A, I once put the clutch plate on backwards...  in this
position... the Clutch would not disengage, PERIOD...

I had to remove the trans and flip it over...

I had gotten in that "been there, done that" mode... so I when I
replaced the clutch, I did not freshen up by reading the manual... so I
overlooked this critical aspect of the clutch.

Another thing that happened to me (TR 4A) was the pin that holds the
lever that connects to the throwout bearing failed... allowing the lever
to spin freely... thereby, making it impossible to engage the clutch.

To fix this... I had to remove the trans... and... since I could not get
the broken part out... I used a sawsall to remove the whole
cross-shaft... and replaced it with a unit from a parts-car unit.

Third... I assume you can visually see that your slave cylinder is, in
fact, operating?  As I usually bleed the master and then bleed the
slave... in order to get the system to work.  (To bleed the master, I
use loosen/tighten the hydraulic connector going into the slave, as if
it were a bleed nipple, and follow the usual bleeding procedure (loosen,
push pedal, tighten, release,...)

Maybe this helps?  I am not familiar with the Spitfire.

--Justin
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner
Los Angeles