Re: '74 commission numbers

To: jbonina@nectech.com, Scott.Mackay@SEMATECH.Org
Subject: Re: '74 commission numbers
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:00:53 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-03-20 11:43:52 EST, jbonina@nectech.com writes:

> I have a '73 and my bumper is chrome only. There are no rubber bumper
>       parts anywhere; nor are there overriders. Why?
>
>       From memory, the commision plate has a manufacture date of '72. Could
>       that be why?
>
>       Jeff
>
>       '73 TR6

Jeff, the key to the REAL year of your car is when it was built.  The
commission number determines that, since the cars were numbered in sequence as
built.  Once built the cars were shipped to the port in the UK, loaded and
shipped to the US, off-loaded, cleared by customs, then loaded and shipped to
the distributor (or dealer).  He then prepped the car for sale and then it sat
around his showroom waiting for a customer.  How long that took depended on
his location and the demand.  Some cars might not be sold until a year or more
after they were built.  (Never mind that the car simply might have been built
in the late Fall and not sold until early the following year - only a few
months).

Now - you don't think a dealer was going to tell the customer that his new car
was last year's model (AKA -not new) - do you?  So, in MANY (I didn't say all)
instances, the car was titled as the year when it was sold.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)