Re: advice needed

To: "W. H. Holcombe" <Holc@worldnet.att.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: advice needed
From: "Craig & Karen Bentley" <mmbent@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:58:26 -0500
I think what your referring to is the steering column locking clamp. If that
is the case then whats probablty holding you up is the fact that there are
no bolt heads visible. This is because Triumph (and most car companies) use
what are called "shear bolts" on these darn things. Its supposed to be some
sort of "anti-theft" device (as if that would stop a determined thief).
Basically the bolt head breaks off at a predetermined torque thwarting the
thieves. To get them out you will have to remove your speedo or tach,( I
don't remember which one is easier). My preferred method is using a longish,
sharp 1/2" chisel (SP?). What your going to need to do is put the corner of
the chisel on the exposed remains of the bolt head and strike the chisel
with a hammer so that the bolt is turned counter clockwise. Usually one or
two good raps is all is needed. If this doesn't work then you'll have to
break out the drill and somehow get the drill in there to drill them suckers
out. I hope this makes sense. It maka perfect sensa to me of course but your
results may vary. Good luck  Craig Bentley