Re: advice needed

To: Holc@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: advice needed
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 98 14:38:31 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
W. H. Holcombe wrote:
        > I have a 1973 TR-6 and am in the process of removing the
        > steering system to replace the bushings.  I was doing alright until I
        > got to the upper clamp at the wheel locking unit. I can't seem to
figure
        > out how to get the clamp and locking unit off.

The unit is held together with shear bolts; the design was to have the heads
of the bolts shear off at a particular torque during assembly, thus
preventing the unscrupulous thief from merely unbolting the steering
lock to be able to whick off with your car.

If you have all the gauges out, you can easily take a dremmel and cut
into the top of the bolt shaft so that you can unscrew them with a
screwdriver.  A small file or hacksaw will work if you dont have a dremmel.
Its pretty straightforward.

When reassembly comes, you can either use new shearbolts (and shear off
the head as per original), or do what I did and use stainless allen-head
bolts that are the same size/thread.  There are easier ways of stealing a TR6
without going to the trouble of trying to undo these bolts when all the
gauges are in place!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego