Re: TR4 broken rear wheel stud

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 broken rear wheel stud
From: WBabbitt <WBabbitt@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:14:33 EST

In a message dated 3/4/98 21:58:28, walker05@camosun.bc.ca wrote:

<<

In a fit of overenthusiasm I managed to bust one of the rear wheel studs.
Don't ask me how... the word "stupid" has been echoing in my brain since I
did this.

So my question is, how do I remove the (remainder) of a wheel stud?

I presume it's the same for TR6s... so let 'er rip.

Also if anyone has a rear wheel stud kicking about I'll trade them a
toonie for it ;-)

-Malcolm

If you have the newer style of wheel stud, they will press out easily (in the
direction away from the wheel).   If you have the older version, as is on my
TR3A, they are threaded into the hub.   The end of the stud protruding out the
back side of the hub must be ground flush with the hub, then hollowed out a
little to relieve the threads.   The threads in the hub are also right hand.
This is not a fun job and requires patience.   I'm converting my TR3A back to
disc wheels after the DPO cut all the studs short in a wires conversion.
I've got one axle done and one to go.
ps, don't screw around with a used replacement - new ones are only $5 each.
Bill Babbitt
TR3A in a Bag (but hopefully not for ever)
Gales Ferry, Ct.