Re: TR4 broken rear wheel stud

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 broken rear wheel stud
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 09:04:48
You ask:
>So my question is, how do I remove the (remainder) of a wheel stud?
>
>I presume it's the same for TR6s... so let 'er rip.

Actually, TR-3's and 4's are unusual.  On TR-6's, like most 'mercan
cars, you'd just bang out the knurled part that's left in the hub
and get on with it.  However, on TR-3's and 4's, the stud is screwed
in from the front (there's a small shoulder in the middle of the
stud to stop it from going all the way through), then its end is
peened over on the inside of the hub - or if you're unlucky as I was,
someone will have welded the inner end.  In either case, you'll have
to grin off the peened over end, and I'm afraid that this may mean
pulling the axle to get to it.  Then it's a relatively simple matter
of unscrewing the remaining piece of the stud from the front of the hub.

>Also if anyone has a rear wheel stud kicking about I'll trade them a
>toonie for it ;-)

They're cheap to buy from the big three, as I recall...and what's a
toonie???

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu