Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)

To: gprtech@ix.netcom.com, Martin_A._Secrest@neb.voa.gov
Subject: Re: AC/DC (was Pertronix perplexia)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:47:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Actually, I just printed out Dan*s ballast/non-ballast coil article, and
> about five other things, to help discover why the Accel
> Super Coil the PO put in my GT6 is wired to run at 12v. during *run,* and
> 10v during  *start.*  Before I investigate this further, anyone want to
> hazard a guess on this one?

Martin:

Did you measure the voltage at the battery while you were starting the
engine? Chances are, the battery voltage was only 10 volts, due to the
starter draw. As George pointed out, The battery voltage can drop quite a bit
while starting. That is the reason for bypassing the ballast resister while
starting in the first place.

If the battery voltage is also 10 volts, then the car is wired correctly,
assuming the Accel coil is a non-ballast coil.

(Typically, I have gotten George's response to your post, but I have yet to
get your original post. If my answer doesn't jive with the rest of your post,
that is why.)

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74