Re: Nasty Chemicals

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Nasty Chemicals
From: Dean Paige <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:03:44 -0700
Cc: Jim Barbuscia <jim.barbuscia@West.Sun.COM>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Jim Barbuscia wrote:
>
> >  Speaking of nasty chemicals...
> >  I just bought a 20 gal. parts washer from COSTCO and now am wondering
> >  what I should use in it for solvent?
> >  Any one using one of these? What are you using?
>
> 'Varsol', an Esso product, works well.  I'm not sure about disposing it
> though :-)
>
> -Malcolm

Just about all of the chemical mixtures that have been used in hot or
cold tanks are truly nasty and CAN NOT be disposed of legally by any
means other than recycling or disposal as hazardous waste. And thats the
mixtures in their unused state. Once they have been used you can add to
the list of nastys  heavy metals including, cadmium, chromium, lead,
zinc, etc as well as grease and oil.

Do yourself a favor and don't get involved with this. Arrests of private
citizens have been made for using gunk and other engine cleaning
compounds (also witches brews of priority pollutants) on their car
engines and following "label directions" indicating disposal as "spray on
rinse off". A major lawsuit against a degreaser manufacturer is in
progress in CA as a result of a Fish and Game officer catching a citizen
doing this with the rinseate going into a storm drain and thence directly
into a creek. The citizen said. "I was just following directions" The
court agreed and instead went after the manufacturer who is faceing
possible fines of $25,000 dollars for each can of material sold with
those directions. Caveat emptor.

Some aqueous high pH solvents and citrus based degreasers are available
for use in these applications but you're still left with a hazardous
waste due to metals contamination. And before considering disposing of
these materials in a "midnight dumping" manner ask yourself how your
wives, children and neighbors will look at you when they learn YOU are
the one responsioble for contamination of a drinking water well or other
local water supply. The solvents used in these products are the main
players in such contamination world wide.

Best bet. Don't degrease at home! You're asking for trouble. Use your
local machine shop after you've inquired into their disposal practices.
Or, Use your local coin op car wash (no canned degreasers please) on the
wheel (or engine) clean cycle first (uses alkaline degreasers) let soak a
while and then use high pressure wash and rinse to blast away the
loosened residue. These operations are usually plumbed to the sewer
system and wastewater treatment facilities which can handle the high pH
and grease and oils but are not designed to remove toxic organics (read
solvent degreasers).

As for antifreeze, the haz waste collections offered to homeowners in
most US areas are a good place to start. Also look to local auto repair
shops or parts suppliers who often provide for disposal at a reasonable
fee. Don't ever just pour this stuff out on the ground (animals like it
because it has a sweet odor and taste but as stated in other posts is
deadly). Two of the zoo raised California Condors released into the wild
in the last couple of years have died as a result of drinking from a
puddle of antifreeze poured onto the ground.

If no other options is available I reluctantly reccommend pouring it down
your toilet except if you are on a septic tank (it will kill the useful
bacteria in a septic system). At least then the antifreze will find its
way to a wastewater treatment plant where it can be easily biodegraded by
secondary treatment processes. This is not an option for commercial
operations however where recycling on or off site is now the standard and
where most jurisdictions prohibit such disposal by commercial
enterprizes.

I will happily provide further information to anyone interested.

Deano
Environmental Compliance Officer
City of Santa Rosa