Re: Nasty Chemicals

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Nasty Chemicals
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:02:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Malcolm Walker wrote:
>       > What's the best way to dispose of antifreeze?
>
> Dont "just dump" it!  Here in Calif. antifreeze is considered toxic,

Not to worry!  It stays in the car until I can find a proper disposal.

> I'm not sure, it may be a federal offense to dump the stuff illegally.

It's an ethical offence, anyway.  Some bonehead was poisoning cats in a
nearby town by (intentionally!) leaving a dish of the stuff 'lying
around'.  I'm not sure if the authorites caught him but it got everyone
in a tizzy.

> FWIW, I stopped using antifreeze in my cars some years ago.  I now use
> straight water, with 1 quart of Redline Waterwetter and 1 pint of NalCool.

While I do live in a *mild* climate, it has been known to freeze
occasionally.  I am running a 50/50 mix, mostly so that I can forget about
it.  It doesn't usually get hot enough for me to be concerned about
ambient temp. affecting the car.

> Using this combo, I have never see the Triumph run hotter than 180 F,
> even stuck in the SoCal parking lot (so-called freeways) on hot summer
> days.

Geez, you should hear the yokels complain about being stuck in traffic for
a whole 20 minutes!!  I'm so glad we do NOT have a traffic problem.

Keep driving,
-Malcolm