Re: Need wire wheels

To: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Need wire wheels
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:44:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
CAMHI ALAN wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm sending this to all lists in the hope of geting some information and
> merchandise.  Does anyone have a GOOD set of wire wheels that need
> minimum work(great splines, knockoffs, hubs etc. and only need truing).
>
> My Birthday and Chanukah are coming up next month and pappa needs a new
> set of wheels.  If necessary, I will purchase new rather than take a
> chance on used unless the used are in really great shape.
>
> They will be going on a 65 TR4 and as such need to be 15" X 4.5", 60
> spoke.  Either chrome or painted but I don't think I can afford chrome in
> great condition.
>
> I would be willing to swap my freshly painted old english white disks and
> chromed hubs(and possibly some $$$$) for these wires, hubs and knockoffs.
>  Any help in my search would be very much appreciated.
>
> Also, does anyone know if other LBC wire wheels fit My TR4(i.e. MGB, TR6,
> etc.)  This would help me expand my search.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help.  Also, my apologies to Jim who had a set.  I
> think I need to find a set that might be in better condition.  Sorry for
> the red herring.
>
> Alan Camhi
> '65TR4
>
> P.S. New calipers from Apple are on, speed bleeders are in.  Gonna Bleed
> me some brakes.........

Alan,
I'm sorry I don't have a set of wire wheels for you. I do have a
suggestion for you. I would try and get a completely new set of 4
wirewheels/hubs/knock-offs (with the exception of a spare wheel for the
spare tire) if you can afford to. The reason is even though they look
great, wire wheels are a royal pain in the ass, and if you know what you
are starting out with, down the road (and on the highway) you will be
much better off. Besides the cost of the wheels themselves you will
still need to buy tubes, and have the tubes and wheels mounted and
balanced. Most tire and wheel shops around today have never even seen a
wire wheel let alone mount and balance one! And most do not have the
special adapters needed to mount and balance.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using the wire wheels but in my
opinion Panasport or another brand of alloys wheels are the way to go
for good looks, great reliability and ease of maintenance.

If you still want wire wheels I would suggest waiting for The Roadster
Factory Winter Sale in January where you can usuallly get 20% off prices
as well as some other small discounts or try Dick Burger at British
Parts Connection.

Good luck,

Lenny
--