Re: Need wire wheels

To: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Need wire wheels
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:56:53 -0400
Cc: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Lenny Seidman wrote:

> CAMHI ALAN wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm sending this to all lists in the hope of geting some information and
> > merchandise.  Does anyone have a GOOD set of wire wheels that need
> > minimum work(great splines, knockoffs, hubs etc. and only need truing).

snip

> Alan,
> I'm sorry I don't have a set of wire wheels for you. I do have a
> suggestion for you.

snip

Alan,

I am going to second Lenny's suggestion. I wouldn't run my car on a set
of used wire wheels. I have a stack of 15 used wires in my shop to prove
it. In addition, I have never seen a decent set for sale. I have seen
lots of junk wires for sale trying to be passed off as good. Take a real
hard look at the splines in the hub and on the hub extension (what you
are calling the spline). Every used wire wheel I've seen for sale has
exhibited lots of wear here. On the hub extension, the splines are
supposed to be flat in the top, not pointed.

Sorry, but bad ASCI art follows:

                          _
                 /\      / \
                /  \    /   \

                Bad      Good

All my bad wires came with my cars, that were equally as bad! (OK, the
cars were worse. Different subject, different time.)

Sure, I'll admit I've never seen a good used wire wheel for sale.
However, they must be out there. Let's say you find somebody who says he
has a great set of wires for you. You get them, and they are not so
great. Assuming you can return the wheels, do you want to pay the
shipping on 4 or 5 wheels that are being misrepresented?

Also, if you do find a set of wheels that have good hubs, but no hub
extensions, I've heard running wheels with old hubs on brand new hub
extensions promotes rapid wear of both...

So, listen to Lenny. Buy some nice Panasports instead.

If you still insist on a nice set of wires, I have a great set for
you!!!   8`()
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/