Re: Just a few novice questions...

To: rshaffer@gmu.edu
Subject: Re: Just a few novice questions...
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 14 Oct 97 12:29:51
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>>And finally, about what range in mileage
do engines need a rebuild? Is this something I could do with a Chiltons
and fairly standard/cheap tools?<<

For the most part, yes.  It helps to have a friend who has some of the
specialized
tools you will not be able to do the job without.  On the other hand, Trak Auto
does rent everything out of the ordinary that you will need, I*m sure.

But there is no standard -- it depends on how the engine has been treated.  It
is not
unheard of for a TR6 engine to go for 200K before you have to get into the block

and start replacing things.

Also, don*t be dissauded by what you read here.  It actually is possible, though
not easy, to buy a TR6 in semi-decent shape for about $2000.  I*ve seen them
on odd occasions for that price here in the D.C. area.  (Would have bought one
myself,
but now I have the GT6 to keep me happy ...)  Commonly, people will ask for
$4-6K
for a TR6 in average to good condition, but as I have said, you can get one for
less
if you really look around.  Stay on top of the Post classifieds every week,
beginning on
Friday.  And whatever you do, don*t buy a rusty car, unless it is truly just a
little
rust.  Bodywork will eat up your money faster than anything, and generally,
where a little rust-through shows, there is a LOT more lurking underneath.
Heed the maxim that you should *buy the best car you
can afford.*  Reason is, it is infinitely cheaper for someone else to have
maintained
a car than it is for you to restore it.  You never get your money back on a
good restoration, unless you are willing to wait a long time (!)  I should know
-- I*ve got a total of 5K in my Spitfire, and while it*s a pretty nice car now,
there is no one I
know of who would buy it for that price.  (Then again, people don*t restore cars
just for the money, this much is obvious ...)

Good luck.  I*ll try to keep my eyes peeled for you, too ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6